Dear Dad,



Dear Dad,

I finally have a chance to sit down and write a little note to you. I still have time though to get this post up before Father's Day has officially ended. I hope you don't mind that I'm putting this on my blog. I just think you are pretty great and I'm happy to share that.

Do you remember this day? (picture above). Circa 1981. We were at Busch Gardens I think. I guess Jimmy was a big Toronto Blue Jay's fan? While I'm working a pose in my yellow terry cloth jumper. Can you believe Isabella wants one of these outfits. Ha! Everything 80's is new again.

I guess Mom took the photo because she's missing from it,  just like she's missing from our family now.  She's still watching over us. But we've done ok, haven't we? 

I hope you liked the polo shirt I picked out for you. You always do like to be a stylish guy. Even back in the 80's you rocked the white tennis look ;)

So what I really wanted to say is thank you Dad. I didn't get to say that today. I was busy and didn't get a chance. 

Thank you for ...

Taking us on summer road trips, they are the source of many happy childhood memories. (see above)

Dancing like a fool with me to the Bee Gee's in the living room when I was 10. I still think of that every time I hear their music.

Teaching us to be passionate about politics even though our opinions differ "slightly".

Encouraging me to make art. Where is that first oil painting we created many years ago?

Giving us the freedom to explore and be independent when we were kids. I am trying to do that more with my own kids now. You are right, the world is not really any more dangerous than it was in the 70's. We are just more paranoid parents. Maybe we should have a 1970's inspired summer this year.

Being such a great husband. Mom loved you dearly. How lucky am I that I have parents that really did love each other and stayed together? Great role models.


You are a pretty awesome Grandpa. 
The kids love hanging out with you, especially our annual holiday in PEI.


Your energy to give back is tireless. I can't even keep track of all the volunteer committees etc that you give your time to. You are inspiring to us.


I'm always amazed at your ability to tell a joke or story. You are a born storyteller. It must be the Irish in you.


Always encouraging us to follow our dreams. You did tell us that. I'm not sure if you remember. But we did (for the most part) and now I tell my children to do the same.

I hope you continue to follow your dreams Dad. Wherever they may take you we will always be right here waiting to hear your stories.


Happy Father's Day to the best Dad ever...

Love Deb




No comments

Thanks so much for your comments!